Saturday, December 1, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

Living in Louisiana for several years had some serious advantages. The food is one of the main ones; besides some wonderful friends, of course!
DSC_0001
The other day I called my Cajun friend, Tisha, and got her recipe for Red Beans and Rice. True to a good cook, she didn’t have any measurements for the spices, but that’s ok since I rarely follow a recipe word-for-word anyways. These beans turned out so good I told her they were “blog worthy” and I had to share. Here’s the list of ingredients and some steps to follow. (my additions and tips are in red)
Red Beans and Rice
1 small bag of red beans
onion (I used 1/2 of a large one)
Minced garlic (about 2)
Smoked Sausage or Ham (I used 2 links of Andouille sausage and some cubed ham)
salt and pepper
1 cap liquid crab boil (I only had powdered crab boil so I used about 1 tsp)
green onion (I didn’t have any green onions so I used 1/2 of a green bell pepper)
garlic powder
Tony Chachere’s
Worcestershire sauce
Soak the beans overnight with lots of water for at least 12 hours. Dump all of the ingredients in the crock pot seasoning to taste. For everything without a measurement, add a little in the beginning and you can add as it cooks through the day. I sprinkled enough of everything to lightly cover the top of the beans. Half way through cooking, I added some more salt and pepper but everything else seemed to be good. Fill the crock pot with water just enough to barely get to the top of the beans. Set the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. If you feel like it needs thickening, you can either add some spicy Blue Runner beans, mash some of the beans up, or add flour slowly to create a paste then adding directly into the crock pot. Make some Rice, and enjoy!
I hope you try these because they are amazing and feeds us for a long time!!
Thanks Tisha!! Smile

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...